SILIGURI, Aug 21: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Friday asserted that neither West Bengal nor India can remain safe without secure borders, while accusing previous state governments of delaying the allocation of land required for fencing along the India-Bangladesh border.
Addressing a programme at the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) Frontier Headquarters in Siliguri, Shah said the Centre had repeatedly sought land from the previous West Bengal government for strengthening border infrastructure.
He said 1,129 acres of land had been sought since 2014 for border fencing by the Border Security Force (BSF), but the required land was provided only after the new government came to power in the state.
Shah also said previous chief ministers of West Bengal had not attended programmes of the SSB or BSF, and welcomed the participation of Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari.
He emphasised that the SSB is not a political organisation and said the participation of elected leaders in programmes of border guarding forces sends an important message about national security.
The Home Minister also spoke about the national song Vande Mataram and expressed satisfaction that its complete version was sung at the Red Fort during this year’s Independence Day celebrations.
He said the recognition was particularly significant as the country marks the 150th year of the song’s creation by Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay.
Shah was speaking at a programme where he participated in the groundbreaking and foundation stone laying ceremonies for several SSB projects at its frontier headquarters in Siliguri.